One of the largest restorers of chandeliers in the world.
Wilkinson still hold the same values and maintain the high standards the business started with in 1947. We look at just two of the services they offer to their customers.
Wilkinson have grown to become one of the largest restorers of chandeliers in the world, with their skilled craftsmen producing work of the highest standard. Having their repair, glass cutting, metalwork departments under one roof and their own glasshouse just a few miles away, allows them to restore a vast range of chandeliers, from the earliest Georgian examples to the latest continental pieces.
Their extensive collection of old patterns, moulds and large stock of pieces, allows them to replace or recreate any item that is missing or broken. Wilkinson use a variety of techniques from sandblasting to stripping and re-lacquering to restore items following deterioration or damage, always ensuring that we use faithful methods in order to retain authenticity.
Popular restoration works include:
- General upkeep and updating or damage repair.
- Fitting new lampholders, deep cleaning, minor repairs and repinning broken and fragile metal pins.
In addition, they can perform more in-depth restoration works if your lighting has been affected by fire, smoke or water damage or restoration following damage due to moving or poor storage.
- Rewiring – from the rewiring of an entire chandelier to conform with UK electrical regulations or the rewiring or adaptation of a table lamp, they undertake all types of rewiring and have a vast range of flexes and lampholders to choose from.
- Supply of missing or damaged crystal dressings or chandelier pieces. Wilkinsons stock of hundreds of thousands of crystal chandelier drops and have a basement full of spare chandelier parts alternatively their glassblower can hand blow a replacement part. This includes replacement flat or bent glass panes for lanterns.
- Metalwork restoration – supply and fitting of replacements for missing metal castings, repairs to damaged lantern doors and internal pendants, refinishing of metalwork due to tarnishing or discolouration.
- Adaptation – conversion of fittings from gas/oil or wax candles to electricity, fitting additional lighting in to exisiting fittings to increase light output, conversion of wiring from UK to European or US regulations or vice-versa.
Wilkinson offer chandelier cleaning primarily in London and the south-east but have cleaned and installed chandeliers throughout the UK and Europe and as far afield as the Middle East. Their cleaning service is not limited to chandeliers, as they also clean lanterns, wall lights and crystal candelabras.
They charge an hourly rate based on the size and style of your light fittings so contact them with images of your lighting and your location for an individual quotation.
They take chandeliers apart and clean them by hand, they do not spray them with solvents that can cause untold damage and leave a film to attract dust. Chandelier cleaning can be carried out on site and they supply all materials needed for a discreet service as well as a range of access equipment which allows us to reach some of the most difficult to reach locations – all their staff are PASMA trained.
If a more thorough clean is required or if repair and restoration is needed they can remove your lighting from the premises for work to be undertaken at their workshops and install again upon completion.